A content item such as a folder, item, external web link, resource, assignment and so on may be available or released, only under a specific set of circumstances, such as:
- a specific date range;
- specific users, or membership in specific groups;
- meeting specified conditions for a grade in the Grade Center (for example, item is only be available to participants who have received at least an 80 on a particular assignment.)
- availability to people who have visited a specific content item.
Adaptive Release - Basic or Advanced
Basic: Allows creation of one rule per item, but the rule can have multiple criteria, all of which must be met.
Advanced: Allows creation of various combinations of release rules by adding multiple rules with multiple criteria to a single content item. Users must meet all of the criteria of one of the rules to gain access.
If you want to create different criteria for different users on the same item, more than one rule is needed. For example:
- Set up a rule for Group A allowing users to view Test 1 after completing Assignment A.
- Set up a separate rule for Group B allowing them to see Test 1 after completing Assignment B.
Unavailable Items and Adaptive Release Rules
Item availability set on the Add Item page supersedes all adaptive release rules. If the item is unavailable, it is unavailable to all users regardless of any rules established. This allows you to develop rules and only make items available when finished with rule creation.